Thursday, November 20, 2008

Another Interview!

I got called in for another job interview the other day! The company is called RurAL-Cap, and they are a day-care school for infants and toddlers. The position I had applied to was for a Teacher’s Aid.

I suppose you’re wondering why I would step so far out of my experience circle and apply for such a job. I am kind of wondering that myself!

But – I’ve had some experience (a very little bit) in that area, what with my work at the zoo and the volunteering I used to do at the schools on my lunch hours – so I thought perhaps I could do this sort of thing.

It would definitely be a change of pace for me. I am used to sitting at my desk all day long, doing my work with minimal social contact. There were some days where I hardly spoke a word at all, even to my coworkers! That sort of situation suits me quite well.

Working at a daycare would no doubt involve social contact – and then some! As a teacher’s aid, I wouldn’t be directly responsible for the children, but I would lend a helping hand with all aspects of running the various classes, and would have to deal with all ages, from students to parents.

The interview went relatively well, I thought, despite my lack of qualifications. The two ladies conducting the interview each took turns asking question they had prepared ahead of time. They each wrote down their comments on my responses, and were quite friendly. Questions ranged from “what would you do in ‘this’ situation?” to “what do you think ‘quality care’ means?”

I gave honest answers, even when they asked me things like “where do you see yourself in 5 years?” (in an architectural office, sitting at a computer, turning out construction documents) and “what prompted you to apply for this position?” (facing unemployment for an undeterminable length of time)

Honestly, I highly doubt I’ll get the job. If they do offer it to me, then I would have to seriously wonder what kind of place they are to hire one so obviously under-qualified.

But, it would certainly be an interesting job – at least until I find myself a “real” job.

3 comments:

  1. Watch out! They may hire you and you will never sit down at work again, if you do you will find yourself coated with preschoolers. You would be great, you have an warm calm demeanor that would be awesome in a preschool setting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:32 PM

    Hi Ruth,

    It's fun to try new things job-wise! Now is your opportunity to. Go for it!!! You'll never know what may be in store.

    Britt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:47 PM

    I spent the whole morning today in kindergarten and was WORN OUT! :) I like it when kids can sit still for more than five minutes. I had two different kids in tears from other students and two more with bloody noses. Ahhh! Then again they had me laughing and smiling at how adorable they were. Good luck, I also think this might be a fun change for you.

    ReplyDelete