Friday, November 28, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving Day, full of good food, family, and friends! My day was spectacular!

I got to sleep in – although that’s not really a treat, since I sleep in every day now that I’m unemployed. But my cats enjoy snuggling with me in the mornings: Thing curls up at my stomach and Djuna lays out on my hips. Even the Alien comes in and joins us sometimes, although he can’t jump up on the bed anymore – I have to haul him up and get him situated under the covers with me.

When I finally got myself out of bed, I relocated to the computer room and got started in my daily routine of checking all the job banks and applying to any that catch my eye. I’ve sent my resume out to about 41 places so far – and have heard back from quite a few of them.

See previous postings for job interview status.

Once I got that out of the way for the day, I started getting things ready to take out to Palmer for the big dinner. I had two jars of apple cider, some mulling spices & a cinnamon stick, and a big pot placed in one big tote bag. I had the crock-pot and three packages of corn placed in another big tote bag. And last but not least, a bunch of miscellaneous items placed in a third big tote bag.

Thankfully, I didn’t have to drive all the way out there this time. My friend Lisa and her husband Mark said that I could catch a ride in with them! So, I headed on over to their house around 1:00.

Unfortunately, the turkey was being difficult. Lisa had gotten up early to put it in the oven, timing it so that it would be ready by the time I got there. However, something wasn’t right – and the turkey was still very much undercooked.

We waited another hour, hoping it would be finished by then – but it wasn’t.

In desperation, Lisa called Heather to ask her to have the oven preheated so that they could finish cooking it out in Palmer. We bundled the thing up, loaded the car with all our stuff, and headed on out – arriving only slightly late.

The house was crammed full of people when we arrived. There were so many cars in the parking lot they were backed up into the driveway even. I guess Lisa and I were the only ones to think of carpooling. Heather did several head-counts and I think the final tally was somewhere around 37 people, ranging in age from 6 months to 90 years of age!

Heather had her dining table and three folding tables set with napkins and placemats, so amazingly almost everybody got to sit down to eat. All the food was laid out on the kitchen counters, buffet style.

That poor turkey never did get cooked all the way thru – but they carved off the cooked parts and kept putting it back in the oven. We also had a nice big ham that was quite scrumptious (or so I’m told) so people did not go hungry for meat. I can’t even begin to list all the food we had – there was so much of it! All of it was good, and all of it got eaten.

Lisa and I left the party around 6:00, but I’m told a lot of people hung out till well after midnight. Quite the party!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:43 PM

    Hi hon, Looks like you all had a wonderful family time as did we! I rememeber having that time with the turkey one time, It was a 23 lb and I thought it would neve get done!! We grabbed a hot dog to tide us over and ate at 9:30 at night ! I would have been embarrassed but it was just us and 6 close friends and we were having so much fun drinking and playing pool thast we didn't care. We added folding tables this year too even though we just had 12 adults and 3 kids. I thank you all so very much for including mother in all the family things, I know she really appreciates it. She always calls me and tells me what a great time she had! I hope she was a good girl.

    ReplyDelete