Thursday, June 26, 2008

There’s a snake in there!

When I was about 25 or so, I had a pet snake I’d named Ssadi. She was a rather large Corn Snake that I’d gotten as a 1-year-old baby and raised to adulthood. She was beautiful, too: a deep orange with brown & black diamonds down her back, and a black & white checkered belly.

My friend Kevin (aka: Aqua-Aerobics Man) wanted to meet her, so one day when she had to go to the vet’s, we arranged that I would stop by his work after the appointment and show her to him.

He was at the University pool that afternoon, coaching a high school swim team. When I walked in he was at the opposite end of the pool, which was full of loud, boisterous teenagers. Using only hand gestures and facial expressions, he asked me if I had the snake with me, and I replied that she was tucked in my shirt.

I actually had two shirts on: a t-shirt and a sweatshirt (and yes, I was over-heating in the pool room), and Ssadi was wrapped around my waist in between the two.

We made our way alongside the pool to meet together in the middle, with all the teenagers watching (Coach has a girl come meet him!). When we met up, Kevin reached out and took the neck of my sweatshirt and pulled it out so he could look in.

“Oh, Wow!” he exclaimed.

And then he realized that the entire swim team had stopped their activities and were now staring at him in dumbfounded amazement.

“There’s a snake in there!” he told them.

Right… sure there is.

You could tell by the looks on their faces that they didn’t believe him, so I said “No, really – there is!” all the while trying to extricate her from around my waist.

When I finally got her out so they could see that there was indeed a snake in there, they all burst out laughing.

Kevin was blushing.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:32 PM

    Good one! " )That brought a smile to my face! Lorna bee

    ReplyDelete