Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Earthwatch Presentations

I gave an Earthwatch presentation a few weeks ago at a new café called the Elim Café. It started out being very poorly attended, with only café staff on hand. I decided to go ahead and show my power-point to them anyway, and am glad I did because people trickled in throughout the presentation. By the time I finished, I had about 10 people sitting there.

I used my “Earthwatch in General" presentation with all the gorgeous photographs provided to me by the main headquarters in Massachusetts. I thought that would be a good way to draw people in because it gives me a chance to talk about all the possible expeditions, not just my own. I also get to talk about the research being done, the results they’ve had so far, and the potential for the next 10 years.

The café is an internet café, and it just so happened that there were a few random guys on computers when I started. Of course, I interrupted their gaming (or surfing, or emailing, or… or…) – and I did apologize for that – but they told me afterwards that they didn’t mind because they got interested in my presentation.

Pretty much everybody that was there picked up brochures, postcards, and/or the catalog to look thru. I had asked for supplies from the headquarters ahead of time, but hadn’t received their package yet – so just brought in what I had and passed that out.

Hopefully I will get the re-supply package this week, since I am scheduled to give another presentation at the same café on Saturday. This one is to be on my Mongolia expedition, so I will bring all the books I read ahead of time to prepare for it.

I also have two discs of Mongolian Throat Singing music – I wonder if I can have that playing in the background both before and after my talk? That would make it interesting, I’m sure.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I'm the Earthwatch webmaster, and I want to give you a BIG THANK YOU for doing your presentation.

    I hope you have a better turnout this Saturday - the Mongolia project is SO interesting!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete