Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Learning a New Computer Program: REVIT

We had a 3-day training session at work last week, to get the whole company on board with the new computer program = Revit.

I hate new computer programs. I am not a computer geek, and would love nothing more than to stay with what I am comfortable with.

That being said, I have to admit that I do like this new program. The potential is very exciting.

It’s a Building Information Management tool, otherwise known as BIM. BIM is becoming an industry standard so our office needs to be on board as soon as possible: we want to lead the pack, not follow it.

The learning curve is going to be a rough one: a lot of people are going to have to change completely the way they come at their designs now.

Because I am on the CAD Standards Committee here at the office, I felt that I should know the program ahead of the in-house training, so I took a crash course offered by one of the local dealers here in town, Alaska Computer Brokers.

The crash course was a 16-week class condensed down into one 8-hour day. Talk about overload! My brain made it till about 3:30 before shutting down.

I have the book and a disc containing all the training files from that class, a demo disc from AutoCAD, and the program itself has some tutorials in the help file.

That’s what I’m working on now – trying to get familiar with the program so that I can (theoretically) answer questions that other people will have once the office gets up and running on it.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:19 AM

    I've never been able to make it through a tutorial. I usually flail around untill I get what I want then look it up in Help after I figure out some specific questions.

    ReplyDelete