Monday, June 02, 2008

Family Hike Series - Part 2

June 1 - Powerline Pass Trail

I had my doubts when I pulled into the parking lot at the trail head yesterday. It was blowing the kind of wind that can knock you off your feet if you’re not carful – and I just knew that most people would not be expecting that and so would not be dressed properly. There was also a considerable amount of snow still on the ground, as well – we were, after all, at about 2500 feet. But we persevered and ended up with a most excellent hike!

Mother, Kelly, Myself, Reed, Heather, Pam, Adriana, David, Elley, and Rose made up our hiking group this time – although Heather, Pam and Adriana turned back very shortly after beginning due to being too cold. Mother impressed me by gamely plowing thru the snow at the beginning of the trail to make it to the cleared off portion – I was afraid she would not be able to traverse the snow & ice. In fact, there were several instances of people suddenly breaking thru the crust on top and falling thru almost 2 feet to the ground below.

Once we got to the main trail, the going was much easier; except for the wind. That was blowing right at our faces the whole way out. The way back was much easier even if it was up hill the whole way – the wind at our backs made the steep incline barely noticeable.

I did remember to wear the right shoes this time, so my feet gave me no problems at all. I managed to get snow down my socks, but other than being uncomfortable, that wasn’t enough to ruin the day. I had a great time!

No comments:

Post a Comment