Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Ringing In The New Year

They say that the way a person spends New Year’s Eve is a precursor to how they will spend the coming year.

If that is true, I will be spending the year alone.

Again.

Honestly, it wasn’t all that bad. The office gave us an unexpected half-day off, allowing me to spend a few hours at the zoo. Wintertime usually means I don’t get to go to the zoo that often, what with the shorter hours of daylight and all that, so it was nice to revisit all the animals. I walked around the zoo for several hours talking to the other patrons and having a hot cup of cider.

At home, I curled up on my chair with my Thing, some Copper River Red Salmon my cousin gave me, a glass of White Merlot, and some Law & Order on the television. I was in bed by 10:30, but I did wake up at 12:30 and acknowledged the passing of the old year.

New Year’s Day was an exciting day, but not exactly in a good way. I had planned on getting a start on one of my New Year’s Resolutions – the one that says I’ll work out three times a week – but ended up not going. I had Zoo Camp at noon, so went over early instead, to grab a bite to eat for lunch. I figured I could locate the ongoing camp somewhere on zoo grounds after I ate.

Unfortunately, the camp had been cancelled for that day – and no one bothered to tell anyone!

The three volunteers who had signed up for the afternoon session (me and two others) ended up spending an over hour trying to figure out what was going on: we combed the entire zoo, talked to every zookeeper we came across, and tried to figure out who to call (the Education Director was not answering her phone, the Volunteer Coordinator was rumored to be out of state, and the Education Director’s Assistant was MIA). I have no idea what the three volunteers who signed up for the morning session did.

Finally, somebody got a hold of the Volunteer Coordinator (the rumor was thus proven to be wrong) who eventually located the Education Director’s Assistant and discovered what had happened. I have a feeling “somebody” is going to get a rather stern talking to come the Education Director’s return from vacation!

After all that, I just went back to my chair and the Law & Order marathon on television. I just hope the saying is not true…

No comments:

Post a Comment