Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Donating Blood

I gave blood last weekend. I used to give quite regularly, but with all the exotic travel I’ve been doing lately, it just got set aside for a couple years. And since the local blood bank has an office in the mall where I go write letters each Sunday morning, it really should become a regular thing again.

It was a lot easier than I remembered. They have stream-lined the paperwork process now, so it only takes a few minutes rather than the half hour it used to take. I had a few questions concerning all the inoculations I’ve had recently, and a few about some places I’m planning on going to – but other than that, I breezed thru the process with no problems at all.

The actual draw was fast and easy, too. The nurse who “stuck” me was very good at it, and got the vein on the first try. I’ve had some bad experiences in the past that almost convinced me to stop donating, so I was glad to get a good one this time.

I have been making a conscious effort to drink more water, just for the overall health benefits – but that also helps in donating blood as well, since you are depleting your body of liquids. The more hydrated you are, the faster the draw takes. I learned that the hard way: one time, it too what felt like hours just to get a pint of blood out of me and I felt so awful I wished I could die.

It also helps immensely if you eat a good meal beforehand. I always eat lunch at the café while I write my letters, so I was good to go.

Here are a few facts about donating blood:

- By the age of 72, nearly 95% of the population will need blood or a blood product

- Each year more than four million Americans need blood transfusions

- 40,000 blood donors are needed each day throughout the United States

- The Blood Bank of Alaska provides blood to 21 of the 23 hospitals in Alaska

- One blood donation can help up to three hospital patients

- In Alaska fewer than 5% of the eligible donors give blood

- There is no substitute for human blood

- The Blood Bank of Alaska needs 2,200 donations monthly to serve the hospital patients in Alaska

No comments:

Post a Comment