Monday, January 21, 2008

Family Movie Night - Part 2

Our second Family Movie Night was a big hit, just as the first one was. We’re on our second disc of the Planet Earth Series: this time we watched “Caves” “Deserts” and “Ice Worlds”

The first section, Caves, was a really cool one that highlighted the odd creatures to be found under our feet. At one point they were filming this huge 90 foot high pile of bat guano that was literally crawling with millions of cockroaches! Oh, it just made you squirm to watch it.

The second section, Deserts, was particularly interesting to me because they filmed most of it in the Gobi desert which is where I spent my vacation last year! I got to show my family what Ulaanbaatar looks like, and how desolate the place really is. Of course, I wasn’t quite as remote as they were, but it was still very similar.

The third one, Ice Worlds, wasn’t that “new” to us living as we do up here in the arctic. Working at the zoo and dealing with Earthwatch has elevated my awareness of some of the issues at hand out there, so the information they presented was more of an overview for me – but not any less interesting. It’s always a beautiful thing to watch a polar bear in its natural environment.

For food this time we made Chinese Egg Rolls; always a favorite, although a bit labor intensive. Mother had the whole assembly line going, using several people to put together the chopped veggies that Stewart provided while she fried them. Kelly brought some jasmine rice and I brought the sauces to dip them in. Noel brought the fruit plate for desert, added to which I had some store-bought cookies.

I had several people ask why we don’t do this every weekend, but I had originally made the schedule out thinking I should give people time to have a life outside of the family. Who knew that there is no life outside of the family!

No comments:

Post a Comment