Monday, July 10, 2023

South Fork Eagle River Trail

My boss unexpectedly gave us the day off last Monday (Tuesday was the 4th of July, which we also got off) so I took the opportunity to go for a nice long hike with my friend Jessica. We chose the South Fork Eagle River hike, as it is absolutely gorgeous up there. It is normally quite crowded but we got there pretty early so pretty much had the trail to ourselves.

The trail is a popular one, so it’s well groomed. The first mile is rather steep with an elevation gain of about 800 feet, but once you get up above the tree line it levels out and the walking is quite easy. It’s about 7 miles to the end of the trail but Jessica and I did only about half of it. She is a realtor and had to show some property that afternoon and we wanted to be able to eat lunch together before she had to go to work.

We had such a good time, chatting about this & that and just generally enjoying the great outdoors together. The highlight of the hike, for me at least, was rescuing a frog! It was in the middle of the trail and had gotten so cold it could barely move. I gently picked it up and took it several feet off trail , tucking it into a nice little indentation next to some shrubbery. I’m hopeful that it could burry itself and warm up a bit. At the very least, it was not in danger of being stepped on anymore.



No comments:

Post a Comment