Monday, February 08, 2010

A Whole Lot of Nothing

As you probably noticed, I haven’t been writing very much lately. That’s mostly because nothing is happening – it’s all pretty much the same old stuff, just over and over again. But, I will give you a bit of an update here, just in case you’ve been wondering.

Job Status: I’m still unemployed. There are no real possibilities on the horizon, either. I’ve had a few job interviews here and there, some of which I was quite hopeful for, but nothing has panned out yet. I still apply for jobs left and right, and am not really even paying any attention to which company or what position any more. I have, however, come to the realization that I can no longer consider myself a Drafter. It’s painfully obvious that I am not one, so should just give it up and move on. The problem is that I really don’t know what I am if I am not that. I just need to figure that little detail out, and then perhaps I can find THE job.

Living Conditions: I have a roommate again. Her name is Elizabeth and she just moved up from Kansas. She is working out quite well as she is a very likeable person. It’s hard to have somebody in the house with me, though – I really do not like that part of it. But I think I can get used to it easily enough. It helps that she is always cheerful and easy to get along with.

Computer: I got hit with a rather nasty virus a few weeks ago. It was extremely irritating; to the point where I just hauled the whole thing out to my brother’s house and let him deal with it. He worked on it for a few days and got it all cleaned off for me = thank God for older brothers! It was amazingly stressful to be out of touch with everything for those few days: no email, no internet, no schedule, no BRAIN basically. Everything I do is in here…

My Website: I finally got all five of my travelogues finished, and Stewart did a fabulous job with the layout and design work. You should check them out on my website, and then sign my guestbook letting me know what you thought! My next task is to go around town and get pictures of all the buildings I’ve worked on so they can be added to my portfolio page. I’m thinking that might need to be a summer project, though. Most buildings look best in the summer time.

Zoo Volunteering: I haven’t really done that much with the zoo since I came back from vacation. Not only is wintertime the slow time for me, but I’ve just needed a break I think. I did help out with their Polar Bear Birthday Party, and have been to a few of the monthly meetings. In fact, I did a presentation of my Africa trip at the last meeting!

Earthwatch: I’ve had a few presentations these past few months, one at the Eagle River Nature Center, one for the Alaska Prospector’s Society, and one for The Alaska Zoo. I have a few more coming up in the next few months as well – one for the USGBC and another one for the Prospector’s group. I’ve been having fun creating all these power point presentations, too – it’s a cool program that lets you do some really fantastic stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ruthie,
    don't let it get to you. I can say that, cause I'm unemployed too, still. I udnerstand about being Drafter or not; I had to re-evaluate position, knowledge, since I came to Australia.
    I read your travelogue; it was really good. Lucky you, got to see amazing places. Tell Stewart that he did great job designing it.
    Hugs.
    and lots of luck to you,
    ..and me...

    ReplyDelete