Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I had a fun weekend.

I met my friend Lorna out in Palmer at Vagabond’s Café for a bowl of soup on Saturday. I wanted her to see the place because they show artwork on their walls and I want her to get on their list for a showing. She is a painter as well as a photographer, so she could do either type of show. I also just love their soup – they always have great hunks of home-made bread to go with it.

Right next door to the café is a bookstore that was having a book signing by one of Alaska’s own authors, Dana Stabenow. Her books are set in the Alaskan Bush and will soon be made into a television series, I think. We both wanted to meet her, and who could turn down a trip to the bookstore? Funny thing: once we saw what she looked like we realized that we’d just sat next to her over at Vagabonds for lunch! We also just happened to sit next to the Mayor of Palmer, who also happened to be having lunch there.

And since Palmer is a small town and you can’t go anywhere without running in to somebody you know, I did manage to run in to an old flame of mine. We had gone out 15-20 years ago - but it didn’t end well, so we both avoided eye contact and pretended we didn’t see each other. Which is a shame.

Once we got our books signed, we headed over to my niece’s house to meet up with the family for a game of cards. Have you ever played Apples to Apples? It’s a fun game –  I recommend it. We had my Mother, my sister Kelly, her daughter Laurel, my sister-in-law Heather, myself, and my friend Lorna playing. We also had food, of course – can’t have a family gathering without lots of food. Laurel’s son Corbin was there, too – but since he’s barely two years old, he really didn’t play much. In fact, he went down for a nap soon after I arrived.

3 hours later, Lorna went back home while Mother and I headed over to my brother’s house to inspect his new fridge. I also got the tour of his new plumbing and plans for the new on-demand hot water heater and generator. And I managed to hit my head really bad on the way back up the crawl space. Not a good thing to do when you’re prone to migraines!

Back at the farm Stan, Mother, and I ended up playing the board game called Sequence – very similar to Gin Rummy, but on a board instead of in the hand. We played for an hour or so, then settled in on the couch to watch the Olympics till bedtime.

Sunday morning was pancakes and home-grown eggs = a very good way to start off your day! Especially when your mother cooks them for you. I don’t do eggs all that often, but once in a while they’re pretty darned good. I headed off to Heather’s house while mother went off to church.

I had my card-making supplies with me, so sat and made a card or two while Heather graded papers (she’s a 4th grade teacher) until it was time for Family Movie Night. Food prep started around 1:00 so that we could all have our food ready to eat by 2:00 for the start of the movie. We’re watching the BBC program “Blue Planet” and got to learn all about the Open Ocean and The Deep (see below).

Disc 2: Open Ocean
Venture into the largest section of open ocean in the world, where endless blue stretches in every direction. This blue wilderness can seem like an empty desert, but here the ocean's fiercest, fastest and most ruthless predators stalk their prey over immense distances.

Disc 2: The Deep
Two-thirds of the earth is covered in water, but we've only explored about one percent of the ocean floor. With the help of space-age submersibles, take a spectacular journey to previously unreachable depths.

1 comment: