Thursday, March 12, 2009

This is What Heaven is Made Of

I believe that heaven is a bakery and they always have fresh hot bread, just out of the oven. They slice it nice and thick, and slather lots of warm melting butter all over it. You sit cross-legged at the hearth by a nice big fire, with cats all around you, and savor the warmth as you eat your bread.

I figured this out the other day. One of the guys at work made a loaf of bread one morning and brought it to work to share. On the one hand, we hate him because he CAN get up in the morning and make bread – but on the other hand, we love him because he gets up in the morning and makes bread.

Anyway, as I was sitting there watching the sun rise up over the mountains, eating my big thick slice of warm fresh bread all slathered over with melting butter, I said “This is what heaven is made of.”

I’ve also discovered that bread is my main comfort food. When I’m sore & achy (and cranky & bitchy) I crave it. Nothing would make me happier than to be handed my big thick slice of warm fresh bread all slathered over with melting butter (okay, you get the point by now, I think).

I’ve been craving it a lot lately.

My physical therapy sessions are not going quite as well as I’d hoped they would. The doctor is happy with my progress, but I’m not. It hurts worse now than it did before I started!

I just have to keep telling myself: it took 30+ years to cause all this damage. It’s going to take more than just two sessions to fix it.

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm, warm bread. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:00 PM

    My mom had problems w/ her elbow joint and had to stop playing tennis. She went to see a physical therapist. For a month he tortured her until her arm was all black and blue and covered in bruises. She kept going there although she was in a lot of pain, after a couple of months the pain was gone and she started playing tennis again, that was about 20 years ago and she is still playing, a lot, w/out pain …

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:01 PM

    Hi Ruth,

    Regarding your physical therapy sessions and the pain. I had PT last spring when I injured my shoulder. One thing the therapist told me that stuck with me was that I would feel pain before I felt better and that kind of pain was part of the healing process and was okay.

    I know this doesn't make it go away, but maybe it helps to realize that it's part of getting better.

    Britt :)

    ReplyDelete