Friday, March 06, 2009

A Disturbing Development

I just got back from the doctor. I had made the appointment to get some cream for my rash, but since I was there anyway I also talked to him about my headaches and my weight loss goals.

About the rash: its eczema. I get it about once every year or so. The topical cream clears it right up, so that is certainly the least of my worries.

About the weight loss goal: he recommends Weight Watchers. I'll have to talk to my friend Heater who is in the program right now. Perhaps she won't mind some company? I want to loose about 50 pounds by November. That's a pretty aggressive goal, but you have to set your sights high in order to get anywhere in life, don't you?

About my headaches: they've really been bothering me lately, causing considerable nausea and exhaustion. This was a new doctor, one I hadn’t seen before. So of course I had to tell the entire story again: when they started, how often I get them, what I’ve done for them, all the doctor’s I’ve seen, all the drugs I’ve taken. He asked a lot of questions and decided to have xrays taken of my neck. They have the xray machine right there in the office, so it wasn’t 15 minutes later I was back in his office discussing the results.

He said, and I quote, “I’m shocked at the amount of degeneration in your discs!” Then he started talking about MRIs and the distinct possibility of having to undergo surgery.

Not exactly good news… but at least its something different. Every other doctor I’ve been to has been absolutely positive they could “cure” me of my migraines – and every one of them failed. This guy doesn’t really even think I have migraines. He says that damage to my neck – most likely from the head injury I had as a child – has been steadily getting worse as I get older, and could be putting pressure on my spinal chord which in turn causes the pain and nausea I’m feeling.

For now, he wants me to try physical therapy three times a week for about 4 weeks. If that doesn’t have any effect on my pain levels, then he suggests having the MRI to see just how extensive the damage really is. From there, we can figure out what to do next. Last resort would be surgery, although at this point in time I don’t even know what exactly that would mean.

Of course, my biggest concern (aside from the terror of going under the knife) is that I may not be able to go to Africa after all.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:20 PM

    YIKES! not at all what you expected to hear, huh? Hang in there, kiddo - you've got the WILL power to make the PT improve your feelings a lot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:28 PM

    You know what--that's totally possible. I was reading not long ago about cranial sacral therapy and that doc said that any kind of head trauma would cause all sorts of problems. Go for it. It's new and if you have insurance, it can't hurt. Take care Ruth. Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Physical therapy can do wonders. I hope that works and you can go to Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:28 AM

    Hey Ruth,
    I would love the company at WW! I go every Thursday at 4:15 with some other coworkers/friends who are on it too. I know that 4:15 might not work for you, but we can still chat about the program, and I can help any way needed. :)
    -Heather

    ReplyDelete