Monday, February 23, 2009

A Typical Sunday

I found myself wide awake at 3:00 in the morning Sunday. Mostly that was due to the alien, who wanted to snuggle. I hauled him up into bed with me (for a little guy, he sure is heavy) and laid there with him for about an hour.

I could have fallen asleep again except for two things. One: I’m afraid he’ll get up and fall off the side of the bed. He’s done that before – he is blind, after all – and with his spindly little legs, I’m afraid he’d break them. Two: I was feeling nauseous due to the migraine that was simmering in the back of my head.

That’s what finally got me up out of bed. I put the alien back in his box and went downstairs to sit at the kitchen table for a while. I must have had a creative spurt of something during the night, because as I sat there I started to play around with my paper crafting – and came up with 6 cards!

After my medication kicked in and the nausea abated, I finally went back to bed and slept for another couple hours. When I got up for real that day, I putzed around the house a while until time to head out for my usual lunch at The Perfect Cup. I wrote my letters, read my book, and ate my lunch – just like always. I’m nothing if not predictable.

This Sunday, however, I was reading a new book. I finally finished reading the book mother got me for my birthday (see blog posting from May 2008 titled “My Birthday Book”). It was a very good book, but since I only read it on Sundays it did take a while to finish.

The book I’m reading now is titled “An Incomplete Education: 3,684 Things You Should Have Learned but Probably Didn't” by William Wilson and Judy Jones.

Here’s a brief synopsis:

“How do you tell the Balkans from the Caucasus? What’s the difference between fission and fusion? Whigs and Tories? Shiites and Sunnis? Deduction and induction? Why aren’t all Shakespearean comedies necessarily thigh-slappers? What are transcendental numbers and what are they good for? What really happened in Plato’s cave? Is postmodernism dead or just having a bad hair day? And for extra credit, when should you use the adjective continual and when should you use continuous? An Incomplete Education answers these and thousands of other questions with incomparable wit, style, and clarity. American Studies, Art History, Economics, Film, Literature, Music, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Religion, Science, and World History: Here’s the bottom line on each of these major disciplines, distilled to its essence and served up with consummate flair.”

A lady sitting at the table next to me must have been reading over my shoulder, because at one point she interrupted me to ask about the book. She had a very strong accent – Polish, if I’m not mistaken – and was quite knowledgeable about art and wanted to know if I was in school. I explained that I simply like to learn things, and showed her the book. She took down the title and said she was going to go get a copy of it for herself. I had a coupon in my pocket for 25% off one book at Borders, so I gave it to her and sent her on her way.

No comments:

Post a Comment