Friday, December 19, 2008

Help Me Please!

Here’s a couple questions for you – Let’s see how many responses I can get from the world out there. But, first: some background to better understand my questions.

I am going on a scientific expedition to Africa in November of 2009. This is with Earthwatch, which – as you might know from reading previous blog postings – I happen to be the Alaskan Field Representative for. Not that I get to go on these expeditions for free, or anything. But I do get to talk to people about Earthwatch and get them all excited about it like I am myself.

Anyway, my questions are:

1. What is the temperature going to be like in November over there?

I will be in Kenya, in the Samburu region. I’m told that is almost directly ON the equator but has a high elevation. I’m expecting it to be hot and muggy, but for some reason I seem to recall somebody telling me that it would actually be cooler up there than one would think.

2. How does one train for high elevations when one happens to live at low elevations?

The expedition briefing says that the elevation ranges from 3,000 to 5,000 feet. The problem is that I happen to live at only 300 feet, and the highest point I can get to without serious climbing gear is about 1,500. So, what should I do?

I’m climbing stairs at work, to start with. I only work on the 4th floor, so it’s only three flights of stairs. But, I do it 4-5 times a day – that should count for something.

I also have intentions of loosing these extra pounds I’ve been carrying around lately. We’ll see how that goes.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Ruth,
    I may have posted comments previously to your blog. You look like a lovely, sincere person. My friend is a zoo volunteer as well and because of all this, I will respond. I only hope that you are one of those who did not vote for Sarah Palin or Don Stevens. I hear dubious things even about my step son who also lives in Anchorage, so in the spirit of inclusiveness and conservation, my response to your plea for help:

    I have been to Wamba and Lewa on Earthwatch expeditions. It was there in mid-September so I cannot speak authoritatively on the weather in November. But I can tell you that altitude is not a problem. We live in Chicago and being in the Matthews range was not a problem for us. Forget altitude except for cooler nights.

    Temperatures at or near the equator are pretty constant no matter what the season. The only variability is whether it is wet or dry—not a bit muggy. My guess is that it will be dry in November because if it were not, transport would be impossible. During the day it will be very hot and dry. You must stay hydrated or you will pay the price.

    At night it is cool, but not freezing. You will need a fleece in the early morning and at night. Being an Alaskan, I don’t think you will have a problem with cold. Cooler than Nairobi, yes, but not much.

    I strongly recommend the Fairview if you must overnight in Nairobi. But stay in the new section as it is much less expensive. I urge you to gird your loins for the return trip because the Nairobi airport is the worst one I have ever been in.

    If you have more questions that don’t need to be on your blog, you may contact me at:
    ozlock@erols.com

    Give my best to the staff at Wamba, they are the best. Say hello to Dr Oguge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Ruth- i was in Samburu last year- with an NGO - www.icross.ie . I was there in the rainy season. It is not too hot in fact- and the evenings can be cool- bring layers and things that are easily washed. It is also worth bringing water purification tablets- The people are wonderful- you will fall in live with them and the country.

    If you want to contact me direct you can do so at davida.delaharpegolden(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete