Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Day One

I survived my first day! I’m tired, but happy.

I started at 8:00 today, but from here on out my days will start at 7:30 and end at 5:30. I’m on a schedule where I work 9 hours each Monday thru Thursday, then just 8 hours on one Friday and not at all the following Friday.

The only bad thing about that – well, actually there’s several bad things. One is the traffic on the way home. I’ll be smack in the middle of rush-hour traffic on the main artery in town. I won’t actually get home till around 6:30, and since I go to bed at 10:00 that barely leaves me about 3 hours to get all my chores done AND snuggle with all three of my kids properly.

I’m sure I’ll get used to the schedule eventually.

The other thing I consider bad about this schedule is the fact that I will have to somehow keep track: is this my Friday off, or is this my 8-hour Friday? And to make matters worse, I get the feeling that they sometimes ask you to come in on your day off and work anyway. This will definitely take some getting used to.

But, the work is interesting. So far, I’ve worked on an addition to the culinary arts school in Seward and a warehouse storage area for Change Point (a local church). I have volunteered my help to consolidate some sort of office standard, and have mentioned (several times) that I want to be one of the first to be trained on Revit, whenever they get the program in house.

The people are all very nice. It’s a small office, so I only have about 12 names to try to learn. I’m so bad with names! I think I know about 3 so far… I hope.

My little cubicle is on the East side of the building, so I have the most beautiful view of the mountains! It is truly spectacular – particularly this morning with the bitter cold, the hoar frost all over everything, and the morning fog shrouding the area. It’s almost too beautiful – makes it very hard to concentrate on my work. It's better than the view on the East side, though: they get to watch the homeless people all huddling together trying to stay warm.

I brought in a plate of home-made fudge (thank you Mother!) for my first day of work. It was half gone before 10:00, so I think it was a success.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:29 PM

    Another good thing about having every other Friday off is that I have Friday's off so we could do crafts, lunch, etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:40 PM

    Wows! I must not have read latest
    news.. whenever.. since this is a total surprise.. When we saw each other @ the amazingly beautiful
    concert Sun. I didn't know you had
    connected to a JOB... sounds like
    you're going to fit in great,
    already "expecting" to be first or
    among "firsts" trained on Revit.
    The schedule does seem quite
    "UN-helpful" BUT you're tough &
    yet flexible.. go-GIRL-go!
    one of your "fans", chris

    ReplyDelete