Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Women for Women International

I can’t remember where I first heard about this organization, but somehow I ended up at their web site one day (www.womenforwomen.org).

“Women for Women International provides women survivors of war, civil strife and other conflicts with the tools and resources to move from crisis and poverty to stability and self-sufficiency, thereby promoting viable civil societies. We envision a world where no one is abused, poor, illiterate or marginalized; where members of communities have full and equal participation in the processes that ensure their health, well-being and economic independence; and where everyone has the freedom to define the scope of their lives, their futures and to strive to achieve their full potential.”

Since I had just received my tax refund and felt extravagantly rich, I decided I should help out. Just the other day I received my information packet: I now have a new sister! Her name is Joseline Muhawinimana and she lives in Rwanda. She is 23 years old and is single. She lives in a house with 2 other people (I assume they are family members) with no electricity or running water, and states that her general health is poor.

“The situation of the Rwandan women who participate in our program is extremely difficult. The disastrous consequences of the 1994 genocide have weighed heavily on the women of Rwanda. Many have witnessed the murder of their loved ones, and some have been raped and brutalized. Through years of fighting, destruction and displacement, Rwandan women have struggled to support and sustain their families. Injury, death and the loss of family breadwinners have forced women to assume a greater role in providing for their dependents, a role which has become increasingly more difficult with the slow pace of reconstruction efforts, waning international aid, loss and destruction of homes, and high unemployment rates.”

My commitment to Joseline includes a monthly donation of $27.00 (I am assured that 82% of that money will go towards supporting my sister and her participation in the program), writing letters to and receiving letters from my sister (letters are translated in the field; if my sister is illiterate they will be read to her and she can then dictate her response), and getting regular updates on her progress.

“As a sponsor, you will be the hope your sister needs as she rebuilds her life after war. Each month, your funds will help your sister provide for basic needs for her family. You and your sister are encouraged to write letters to each other. The letters you write to your sister can be the most important possessions in her life. Many women in our program carry their tattered letters or pictures from their sponsors in their pockets everywhere. While participating in our trainings, women often have to arrange alternative care for their children and still perform their normal day-to-day activities of caring for their families. Some are suffering from depression and post-traumatic stress disorder. It may be difficult for your sister to write, but we encourage you to continue writing to her, as your letters provide an incredible source of support as your sister embarks on this enormous commitment and journey.”

I am looking forward to a long relationship with Joseline!

No comments:

Post a Comment