Monday, March 24, 2008

Recycling

Mother and Kelly came out to Anchorage on Saturday to help me deal with 5+ years of back-log on my recycling efforts. I am so thankful they did. I could never have gotten thru the pile without them - and not just because Mother has a truck and I don’t!

First, we went thru the house and picked up all the magazines I had stacked up all over the place. It’s truly amazing how much junk you can store in the corners! As long as it’s stacked neatly, I don’t seem to notice the piles…

At the same time, I gathered up all the glass and plastic I could find. I’m a water bottle collector, apparently. I have water bottles all over the place, in various levels of “empty” (as in: half-full, nearly half-full, mostly empty, etc…).

The boxes piled up in the garage was definitely the bulk of the load, however. The recycling center requires them to be broken down prior to being put into their bins, so Mother was stomping on them and Kelly was wielding her pocket knife while I ran around picking up the trash and thousands of Styrofoam peanuts.

We finally got the truck loaded up just in time for lunch, so washed our hands and headed out to the Thai place near my house. I don’t know if it was the company, the hard labor, or just the cook’s talent = but lunch was really good that day!

At the recycling center, we found that most of Anchorage had the same idea scheduled for Saturday = there were more people there than I’ve ever seen before! But, we shouldered our way in and got it all in the right bins eventually.

All in all, it took about 3 hours of work – but I feel much better now. And I have a clean garage, just waiting for some bins to be put in place!

1 comment:

  1. Must be spring. Sounds like a lot of work but well worth it. I am going reorganize my recycling again too. Alaska Waste is going to start offering us curbside recycling on April 15th. I will be able to recycle paper, plastic, aluminum, steel and tin cans all in the same bin. They won't take glass but that's okay I can still bring that to the recycling center. I just won't need to go as frequently.

    ReplyDelete