Tuesday, November 03, 2020

Kind of Like a Book Club

My niece started a book club last year called Kind of Like a Book Club. It’s mostly family members, but others are welcome to join too. If you’re interested, let me know! I’ll send you an invitation.

We meet roughly once a month, although it’s not an exact thing. We have been meeting on Zoom because of the whole COVID-19 thing, but maybe someday we’ll meet in person. It’s been working pretty well on the computer, however, so I’m happy with continuing for a while longer, until I feel safer out in the real world.

These are the books we’ve read so far:

Sabriel by Garth Nix

This was the first book for the club, which I totally missed because I hadn’t joined in yet. Tara chose it, and I like the way Tara’s mind works – so I’m probably going to go back and read this one on my own. I just know I’ll enjoy it!

Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson

My niece Laurel chose this book, and I have to admit I would never have read it if not for the book club. I can’t say I liked it all that much, but it was most definitely interesting. There was a lot in there that resonated with me, even if I don’t like to admit it. You’ll understand what I’m talking about once you’ve read the book.

Stillhouse Lake by Rachel Caine

Sister Kelly chose this book, and I really enjoyed it. It’s told from the perspective of the wife of a serial killer – which just sends shivers down my spine to think about. Ugh! I can’t imagine the horror of finding out that your husband did those things to women right in your own garage.


Ten Thousand Doors of January
by Alix Harrow

This was my choice for the book club – and I like to think it was well received. I had come across it about 9 months prior and really, REALLY enjoyed it. The other members of the book club did say it was a bit confusing at first, but they all liked it once they figured out what was going on.


Green Rider
by Kristen Britain

Bryan introduced this book to the club, and I have to say it made most of us read the next 5 books in the series as well – it was just that good. You can read it all by its self, but the story is so good I’m sure you’ll want them all.


The Rent Collector
by Camron Wright

This one was Noel’s pick, and was another one that I probably would never have read otherwise. However, I really enjoyed it. It’s a window into a whole other world where people live and work and laugh and love, all in a dump! And yes, it’s based on real people. There’s a documentary somewhere about it that I keep meaning to watch. If somebody finds it, please let me know so I can finally watch it!


The Dutch House
by Ann Patchett

Heather didn’t know what book to choose when it was her turn, so she went online and looked up “books for book club meetings” and this one had high recommendations – so that’s what we read. Not my favorite book, by any means, but it was very well written and evoked some pretty strong emotions from me. I did not like the lead character: I thought he was too self-centered for my tastes.


The Hazel Wood
by Melissa Albert

Laurel was supposed to choose our next book, but she passed the torch on to Kelly – so we ended up reading this one. And what a good one it was, albeit a tad bit confusing at first. I liked it so much I went and got the second one in the series, too. As Kelly had said: it was even better.


Sunshine
by Robin McKinley

This is the book we’re reading now, chosen by my niece Tara. I really love the author and have read numerous books by her – but this one is very different. I am only about 20% of the way into it, but am finding it hard to understand what is going on. It is getting better, however, so I have hopes of one day having a clearer picture in my head of the story.

 

1 comment: