Tuesday, October 06, 2020

Music From My Travels

When I travel, I like to bring home some of the local music to remind me of where I have been.

My first time in Costa Rica, I spent a week with 5 other people at a research station up in the mountains. One of my fellow volunteers had brought his music with speakers so everyone could listen. He would play Amos Lee each evening as we sat out on the porch watching the wildlife of the forest. It was MAGICAL – so of course that is what I brought home with me that time, even though I do know he is not a local native.

About 10 years ago I spent 16 days in Mongolia at a research station out on the Steppes of the Gobi Desert. While working there, I had the chance to experience their Throat Singing (Oh my god… how do they DO that?) so of course I once I got home I bought two CDs by Huun-Huur-U and listen to it quite often.

My African trip gave me African Rhythms & Instruments – because the rhythms of Africa are amazing. I also came home with Nyaz - not exactly African music, but one of the volunteers I worked with on that trip was Egyptian. 

The two weeks I spent on the Amazon River gave me EvaAyllon and Musica Folklorica de los Andes as well as Sarah Tavares who admittedly is not Peruvian but is still an incredibly good musician.

Making my way through the crowded streets of Market Day in a small village about four years ago I heard some interesting music. I do not speak the language, but eventually got the street vendor to understand that I really liked what I heard so he let me take a picture of the CD he was playing. I was able to order it when I got home, so now have Juan Luis Guerra to remind me of my time in the Canary Islands.


3 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:15 PM

    Canary Islands: all I remember is the sound of the wind, and a sand filtered sun. AND, oh yes, more than hot!
    I also met an amazing Alaskan lady who can tell great stories.
    -Steve-

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:42 PM

    I have brought home CDs from my travels also; from Equador, Syria & Ethiopia. Listening to them brings back good memories....
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete