Monday, April 13, 2020

Actual Faces!


I’m actually getting quite comfortable with the whole idea of staying home to go to work. Things haven’t exactly been smooth sailing – but when you’re dealing with a computer, that’s to be expected. I think they are the most exasperating contraption that has ever been invented! Thank goodness I have my IT guy handy whenever I need him. There hasn’t yet been an issue he can’t fix eventually!

The biggest speed-bump has been connecting to the network in Anchorage. Apparently they installed the necessary software onto an old computer that doesn’t get used very often. We have learned by trial and error that the computer needs to be left on at all times, and cannot be allowed to go to sleep. I have only had to send a cry for help (otherwise known as an email asking them to turn the computer on again) twice today! That’s quite the improvement from Friday, believe me.

Other than that, work is going very well. The Architect sends me directions via email, along with red-lines that he’s scanned and any supporting documents I’ll need. Then I log on to the network, grab the files I need to complete the task and save them onto my computer. When I’ve completed the work, I just upload them back onto the network and email the Architect letting him know they’re ready for him to print.

My non-work hours are going well also. Bryan installed a video camera onto my computer this weekend, and that I think will be a HUGE relief to this forced isolation. Just this Sunday we had a Family Zoom Meeting, hosted by my sister-in-law Heather. We had all the family logged on: Reed, Heather, and their girls out in the Butte - Me, Bryan and Mother here at this house - Kelly, Tara, and Laurel up on the mountain - and Noel, Katy, and Lauren out in Anchorage. It was so nice to be able to see everybody again – we all chatted and laughed for a good hour.

I even got to do some Face-Time with my good friend Anne, in Anchorage. I used my phone for that one, however, so the screen was teeny-tiny. But She’s stuck in her house with two little boys (one almost 2 and the other about 6) so she really needed an adult to talk to for a while. It was good to see her again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment