Wednesday, September 04, 2019

Damn, I Did It AGAIN!!


Apparently I didn’t learn the first time: I had to go and do it again not two weeks later!

This time it was potentially a lot worse, too. I was driving to work this morning and had just passed the last Eagle River exit when I happened to glance down and actually look at my gas gauge. It was dangerously low; like just this side of empty.

Immediately panic set in: I still had at least 20 miles to go before the next gas station, and I was absolutely positive I wouldn’t make it. I kept going through all the possible ways to handle the situation: who should I call? Should I attempt to walk to a nearby station (in the dark and in the rain)? Should I just sit there and wait for “somebody” to rescue me?

Mind you: my “go-to” rescuer is off hunting out beyond Fairbanks for the next 5 days - so he’s not an option.
And two years ago, I would have called my big brother – but that’s no longer an option, either.

By the time I managed to coast in to the first gas station I came to on Muldoon I was literally shaking, I was so upset with myself. The only thing that helped a little bit was knowing that last time I had made it 387 miles, and I only had 380 miles on the odometer this time.

I totally blame the move to Palmer on this new bad habit of mine. When I lived in Anchorage I knew exactly how far I could go on a single tank, and thought nothing of going for days with my “empty” light on. But now I’m in a whole new situation: I don’t know where all the gas stations are and have no idea how far apart my destinations are. Supposedly one day I will learn all that and will once again be unconcerned about trivial things like gas gauges – but for now I really need to learn to pay more attention!

No comments:

Post a Comment