Monday, October 29, 2012

Physical Therapy


A critical part of my recovery this time includes physical therapy sessions. My doctor has prescribed twice a week for at least a month at Alaska Health Quest off of 42nd street.

So far, I’m really enjoying it!

The first session wasn't too exciting. They did a bunch of measuring to get a baseline on range of movement and strength. They asked about my pain levels and medications. Then they did 15 minutes of ultrasonic treatment to “promote bone healing.”

That actually made me hurt worse than the surgery itself did! My shoulder had been fine up to that point. The next day it was all swollen and extremely painful – to the point where I actually took some of the pain pills just to get some sleep that night!

Thankfully, my second session went much better. This time, the therapist just did a manual massage. Oh my – it felt divine! My muscles were so tense and sore all across my back and up into my head. The only time it didn't feel so good was when she started grinding her thumb into my shoulder right on the spot where they’d removed the bone spurs. I suppose that was on purpose, and that it promotes healing and all – but OW! It hurt!

Anyway, I’m hoping the following sessions will be just as enjoyable. 

1 comment:

  1. The great thing about physical therapy is the massages. When I passed the painful sessions, I started to immensely enjoy my sessions and thought of coming back even though I had minor pains. How did the other sessions go? I hope you enjoyed them too. =)

    Regards,
    Sienna Christie

    ReplyDelete