Sunday, January 09, 2011

A Very Good Day

Saturday was a very good day for me. I started the day off with getting Rob ready and out the door on time for his ice fishing trip. The crazy man is spending the weekend out at Lake Louise in ten below weather just to “slay some trout” as he puts it. Oh well, each to his own.

That was 5:00 in the morning, by the way. I went right back to bed and slept till 10:00 after he was gone! But, eventually, I did get out of bed. Even got dressed and everything! It was a day full of getting things done, which always makes me feel good.

First stop of the day was the bank: I had a few checks to be deposited. Sounds like I had oodles of money to put in my account, doesn’t it? Sadly no – although I had multiple checks, the total amount was not that impressive. Still, every bit helps…

After that, I headed over to the Natural Pantry for some shopping. I needed to replenish my vitamin D supply – a very necessary item for all Alaskan’s, particularly during the winter months when the sun spends at best only 4 hours up in the sky. I also needed more iron pills; I am borderline anemic, so am trying to fix that. Anyway, I managed to find all kinds of things I had to have, and was able to spend a good half hour wandering the isles.

I finished just in time to head down the hallway to where they were handing out free timers for engine block heaters. Rumor has it that January is supposed to be a really cold one this year, although how they know that I don’t know. Regardless, a timer is always a good thing to have on hand, just in case. And hey – they were free! Can’t beat that…

From there I ended up at AMH to get a birthday present/gift card. A certain somebody is going to get a day of ice climbing for his birthday! He already knows about it, so I don’t really know why I’m being so coy here. I’ve rented the crampons, ice ax, and boots for a day – and my little brother Reed has “volunteered” to take him out and show him the ropes. While they are out there doing that, Heather and I will be inside working on crafts and taking it easy with their cats. Not a bad day at all, I’m thinking.

Once I got that taken care of I drove downtown and stopped in at the Allure Day Spa to make an appointment for a massage. I received a gift certificate from my boss at work and will spend it this coming Tuesday (post to follow afterwards).

The spa is right next door to the 5th Avenue Mall, so my next stop was Eddie Bauer’s to spend my membership rewards. I went thru their sales rack and found the prettiest shirt with embroidery down the front; unfortunately the tag had been cut off so the check-out clerk couldn’t ring it up for me. I ended up having to pick a different shirt out – and honestly, I think I like this new one better, so I’m quite happy with the results.

A brief stop at the food court for a bite of lunch while reading my book (The Last Animals At The Zoo, by Colin Tudge) and I was back home again. Not an hour later, however, and my buddy Noah was knocking at my door. We took off to the theatre to watch “Tron” in 3D no less! He’s a computer geek so was really stoked about seeing this movie. It was good – but now I have to rent the old one, to refresh my memory of the beginning of that story!

Yup, it was a very good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment