Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Oh, My Aching Back!

I’ve made a bit of progress today in my attempt to rearrange the house for my new roommate. In fact, I may have done too much – at least, according to my lower back: I’m getting spasms as we speak. Sleep tonight may not be very restful.

I feel good about how much I accomplished, though. I went thru all my clothes and weeded out the ones I haven’t worn in at least a year, and ended up with a pile of clothes on the floor that would have stood taller than me had it not fallen over.

I kept a tally of it as I bagged it all so that I could deduct the donation on my taxes this year. I ended up with 10 dresses, 65 shirts, 25 sweaters, 12 pair of pants, 13 pair of shoes, 10 coats, 1 robe, 1 sleepshirt, and 2 pantsuits.

I took them down to the Alaska Women’s Resource office off Northern Lights Boulevard between C Street and Arctic. If you have women’s clothing you no longer use, please consider giving to them! Talk to Megan at 279-5000 to arrange everything.

Once I got all my clothes weeded out, I organized the closet in my own bedroom in order to fit them all. This entailed cleaning out the dresser that’s in there so that I could use the drawers for clothing rather than for miscellaneous stuff. This also entailed cleaning out the closet in my library so that I could store the miscellaneous stuff there instead. I also had to clean out the coat closet downstairs as well as the entry way where I keep a lot of shoes.

So, by cleaning out one closet (in the spare room) for my roommate, I ended up cleaning out three other closets (my bedroom, the library, and the coat closet downstairs). I also ended up waxing the wood floor in the entry way; might as well, since it was cleaned off anyway.

After taking 7 large bags full of clothing to the Ak. Women’s Resource office and treating myself to lunch at the Middle Way Café, I then decided to face the computer issue.

I called GCI and scheduled an appointment for them to come give me another hook-up downstairs. I worked out somewhat of a plan for how I want to arrange things down there. And I cleaned out the file drawer, throwing away unnecessary paperwork and filing stuff that had been piled up for (I’m embarrassed to say) almost a year now.

I was on a roll by this time, so I gathered together all the CDs scattered all over the house, and from the car as well, and put them back in to their place in the CD cabinet. Then I cleaned the kitchen and got the dishes washed.

The highlight of the day was finding a wooden box stored in the back of one of my closets that I’d forgotten I had. I love wooden boxes (strange, I know – but I do) and this one is just perfect for organizing all my hand-made cards! I think it used to be either from an old library or office or something – it has divider cards in it, labeled with the alphabet, and an adjustable backstop so I can store however many cards I have at the time.

I love it!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:26 AM

    You go girl, you are putting me to shame...

    ReplyDelete