Tuesday, April 04, 2023

Not a Torn Rotator Cuff After All

I went in for my follow-up visit with Dr. Anderson yesterday and can report that everything is going well. Recovery is right on track! 

First the stitches were removed. The nurse snipped the knots off and then tweaked the threads out with what looked like a pair of pliers. The one in front and the one on the side did not hurt much at all, but (as I expected from last time I had surgery) that back one really stung. Thankfully that only lasted a few seconds and I was fine.

Then Dr. Anderson came in and took a look at my shoulder to make sure things were as they should be. I asked him about the 4th incision (the one I did not expect to receive) and he told me something rather surprising.

Turns out, I did not have a torn rotator cuff after all! Basically, my right bicep got torn off the joint and caused quite a bit of agitation. He had to detach the bicep and reattach it lower down in a new location. Then he went back up to the original location and "cleaned things up a bit". He showed me pictures while explaining things, which was really cool. 

The good news is that recovery should be a lot shorter than what we thought it would be, taking only 3 months instead of 6. The pain is a bit worse, but I can handle that. And (thank god) I only have to wear that sling for another week or two rather than the 3 months he told me at the beginning of all this.

He sent me home with about 6 stretches to do, to get my arm ready for strength training with the Physical Therapist. I start that at the end of April.



1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:56 PM

    Wow! It seems crazy that they can just reattach a whole muscle in a new place! I’m glad your recovery will be faster. I love it when doctors explain the whole process with pictures!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete