Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Global Entry


I travel a bit: not a lot, but a bit. And as everybody knows, part of traveling now-a-days means waiting in line at the Security Check-Points; you and 10,000 other weary travelers.

What a hassle! Take off your shoes & coat. Remove any metal you might have on you. Empty your pockets. Take out any liquids you have in your carry on. Walk through the x-ray scanner thingy. Oops! I forgot my belt! Go back and do it again. Ugh! I got selected for a more thorough bag search AGAIN!

You know the drill.

But did you know you could get PRE checked and there-by avoid all of that hassle? For a small fee of just $100.00 you can get a Pass Card that lasts for 5 years. It’s easy:

Go online to globalentry.gov
Fill out the proper forms
Pay the fee
Get an appointment to go in person to TSA for fingerprinting

And that’s it. You’re done.

For the next five years, you get to go to the head of the line (or to a much smaller line). You don’t have to remove your shoes and all that. And, if you’re coming from a foreign country, the card makes going through customs that much easier, to!

I just signed myself up – so I’ve got some smooth sailing ahead of me for my next Earthwatch Expedition!

Oh, and if you don’t need the international entry, you can go to tsa.gov/precheck instead.

1 comment:

  1. I have used it for years and it is wonderful to cruise right through immigration and customs. Unfortunately I need to renew mine, requiring another interview, and they are so short-staffed that there are no interview times available at all. They will do it at an airport as you re-enter the US but you can't just go in for it anymore.

    ReplyDelete