Wednesday, May 16, 2012

How Ironic is That?

I had my appointment with the neurologist yesterday – not exactly how I wanted to spend my birthday, but you take the appointment that’s available or wait months for the next opening. And what an appointment it was, too. I was in there for 4 hours!

The news is pretty much what I expected: I do need surgery. I have two discs that have blown, two vertebrae that have bone spurs, and the entire neck has lost its curvature. The doctor will go in thru a tiny incision in front of my neck, shave off the spurs, repair the discs, graft in bone from a cadaver, and secure the whole thing with a metal brace. The procedure should take no more than 2.5 hours, so if I go in first thing in the morning I might actually be home that evening.

Mother says I will now have to travel with a note from my doctor explaining the metal in my neck!

This whole thing will be quite expensive – again, pretty much what I expected. The doctor’s office gave me a list of expected expenses to be charged; I called my insurance to find out what my coverage would be and then created a spreadsheet in Excel (gosh, I just love that program!) to calculate my portion of the bill.

Wouldn’t you know it: the total was almost EXACTLY what I have in my savings account! Almost to the penny! It’s like somebody knew, and arranged to have it just perfectly so.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:36 PM

    I hope you can set up a payment plan???

    jk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think any of that was actually ironic, but what a way to spend your birthday indeed! Glad you have some semblance of a solid plan now though :)

    The bone can come from cows or cadavers... cadaver bone sounds rather creepy. But you'll be in good company! I have bone fragments from some random dead person in my mouth LMAO

    Yay! for the universe working in mysterious & powerful ways :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather10:44 AM

    Keep picturing a life with less pain. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete