Sunday, July 10, 2011

The New Job

The first week of work went quite well, despite that first day. I so hate “first days” - almost as much as I hate new jobs. Honestly, I thought I was going to throw up! But amazingly enough, I fit in there. I feel right at home already, and am getting along with everybody.

Boy, that makes it sound like it’s a big office with lots of people, doesn’t it?

There’s not: there are only 5 people, me included! GDM used to be the largest architectural firm in Anchorage, back in the day, with over 35 employees and two offices (briefly there were actually three: one here, one in Fairbanks, and one in Juneau). Now, however, they’ve been reduced to just 6: three architects, two drafters, a bookkeeper, and their front desk lady.

Okay… I can’t count. That made seven total, so you can make the adjustments.

I’m just plain exhausted, because even though I’m fitting in it’s still a new job and is therefore quite mentally taxing. Not to mention the fact that I’ve been continuing to help out at Treeline! 9 hours work at GDM followed by 3 hours work at Treeline makes for some very long days.

I felt so bad about leaving them in their busiest time (honestly, I applied for this job way back in November – their slowest time!) I offered to continue coming in till they found my replacement. Then of course, I had to volunteer to help TRAIN the replacement and make sure the workload didn’t get too overwhelming for him.

I do believe I can safely hand the reigns off now, however. Brandon seems to be working out, and will eventually get up to speed on things. I’ll go back in on Monday just to check up on him; answer any remaining questions he might have, and ensure that things are going well. But then, I’ll just be”on call” as an emergency back-up only.

Whew! And I was complaining earlier about not getting the hours I needed!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:11 AM

    It is SOOOO weird that you are now at GDM...

    I worked there for 15 years!!! Yes - back when we had THREE offices...

    Tell Jim and Larry that I am now self-employed if they need any proposal assistance or technical editing, etc...

    Guessing Scott Robbins is still there - how about Mark Norquist???

    Evie Clark
    952-6593

    ReplyDelete