Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Gues What

I got a job!!!!!

It's with GDM Architects; a smallish architectural firm here in Anchorage. I applied to them back in November, so was quite surprised to get their call last week asking for an updated resume.

Tuesday morning I went in for a brief face-to-face with the guy; he said that he'd get back with me for an actual sit-down interview later on in the week. Not two hours later, however, he called to say they'd decided to forgo the sit-down and just move straight in to hiring me.

It's 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year, at a pretty descent rate of pay. I’ll get good medical, no dental, paid holidays and sick leave, a 401k, and all the other fringe benefits that come with a full-time job.

Best of all: I now get to go on another Earthwatch Expedition! Not right away, of course – but soon, I’ll be floating down the Amazon!

Giving my 2-weeks notice to Treeline Construction was hard. They really are a good company; I would have stayed with them if only they could have given me better hours during the winter months. The boss was very understanding, though. I offered to train my replacement, and even come in after hours and/or weekends for a while if need be, and he said they might just take me up on that depending on how the hiring process goes.

Oddly enough, they were just getting ready to give me a raise…

6 comments:

  1. Yay! A job!

    How much of a raise, did they say?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:15 PM

    OMG... back to the future, Ruthie!!! I worked there for 15 years... 1981 - 1996 when I moved to Coffman Engineers for a larger company to work for:-) WAY TO GO!!! That is more good news for a good Solstice week! Jim Blair can be a grouch, but has a big heart. Larry Lander is the ditzy creative designer since forever and can barely turn on a computer (he probably still does not have his own e-mail account at the Office.) Mark Norquist is one of the sweetest men I know - an all around good guy with an easy smile. Scott Robbins has worked there since right out of college, and should have moved at least once or twice just to broaden his own experience level and increase his interpersonal skills... but he's good at what he does if not a bit too opinionated. Think those are the only folks still there from the Evie years... let me know if you need any of the inside straight skinny. Larry is still on my list of professional references, and I check in with him every year or two. I ate lunch at AEMAA on Tuesday with Jim Blair on the other side of my sister to my right. We joked and reminisced until the speakers started - at the end of the luncheon he bolted back to mid-town. Evie Clark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:16 PM

    PS: My old eyes like the larger font on this post... FYI... Evie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:33 PM

    Yeah!!!! I am so happy for you! It's about time you got a break. I hope you enjoy the new job. What will you be doing?
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woohoo! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! I hope you really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete