Thursday, October 07, 2010

Doctors, Doctors, and More Doctors

October is the month for medical appointments, apparently. By the time this is over, I will be sick and tired of doctors I’m sure. But since I’ve been without for way too many years and it just kicked in on the first of this month, I’m having pretty much everything taken care of.

Tuesday was for the general practitioner. I had a physical, a pap smear, and a consultation on other problems. She gave me a prescription for anti-depressants (I am so tired of crying all the time, I just want this to be over and done with), a referral for counseling, marching orders for a mammogram, and instructions for taking supplements like Vitamin D and Iron. She also tested for just about every STD that’s out there, but that’s a whole other story and one I don’t really want to go into at this time.

Wednesday was for the dentist. My insurance only covers a cleaning at this point in time, so that’s what I had done. Once I’ve been on the dental plan for over 6 months I can get the rest of the work done: I need a crown and have a filling that needs fixed.

Thursday was for the eye exam. I don’t have insurance for vision but I do have my yearly PFD that just got deposited into my bank account today, so I’m using that to pay for it. I went to Lens Crafters at the mall and had an eye exam and bought my glasses that same day. Wouldn’t you know it, I need bi-focals. But hopefully, once my eyes get used to it, I will be able to see so much better and can possibly even get back into my card-making crafts. They were having one of their best-ever sales, so I ended up with almost $200.00 off.

Monday will be my first counseling session, assuming that I’m not called in for Jury Duty that is. I have my orders to call in that week, but my case number is rather high so I’m hoping that I won’t get picked for a few days at least. I really need to go to counseling way more than I need to go to Jury Duty.

The following Saturday is my appointment for the mammogram. The Imaging Center is celebrating Breast Cancer Awareness Month (October) by offering free exams, so I am taking full advantage of that. One less thing for my insurance to have to deal with.

After that, we’ll just see how things fall out with all these appointments. I may or may not be done with most of it by then, and will just have to deal with the HRA plan at work to see how much I can get reimbursed after the insurance pays for their portion.

5 comments:

  1. OOO - I forgot to mention that I got weighed at the doctor's office on Tuesday. Now I know exactly how much weight I've lost.

    40 pounds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:19 PM

    Holy Cow!! You've been busy, girl! " ) Good job - and congrats on the -40 pounds! Lorna bee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:53 AM

    Since I joined kpb... I have found the 40 lbs you lost:-( UGH... Evie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:22 AM

    Don’t do that! Anti-Depressants are just the start of more problems, not the cure to your current ones!!!

    Doctors are only too willing to hand out prescriptions for them and promise unreasonable results from them because the drug companies PAY them! It’s all a big scam and the people that get stuck taking the drugs are the ones that pay, both financially and uncountable other ways.

    Ok, so I am the drug Nazi. Everyone knows that I am TOTALLY against exactly this kind of drug. The fix is not in a pill!! A pill may hide the symptom but it does NOTHING for the actual problem!

    STOP TAKING THOSE PILLS AND STOP SEEING THE DOCTOR THAT GAVE THEM TO YOU!

    >Big Brother

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, October is doctor's apt month.And September and November..
    At least for me..
    And antidpressants do help. Helped with my migraines..Maybe it will help with yours.
    All the best wishes..

    ReplyDelete