Saturday, October 02, 2010

Black Widow Spider

Back in my college days (okay, it wasn’t really college: it was more like a technical school) I was bit by a black widow spider. Not a real pleasant experience, let me assure you. The anti-venom was even worse. I sported a dead spot about the size of a quarter for 6 months afterwards; yet now, years later, I have nothing to show for it. No scar, nothing.

So, I decided I should get a tattoo put on the spot where she bit me. It took me several years to find the perfect picture, but I finally did. Then I had to wait several months more for an appointment with the tattoo artist.

But now, finally – after all this time – I have a beautiful Black Widow Spider on my arm! I’m pretty excited about that, truth to tell.

Having a tattoo put on my arm wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it would be. It wasn’t painful at all, except towards the end when he filled in the body. I do have to admit, however, that 5 minutes in to the process my body started to go into full panic mode. He had to stop and go get me an ice pack for my neck and some apple juice to bring my blood sugar levels back up. I really thought I was going to pass out there for a few minutes, but managed to keep control of things.

20 minutes later, and he went back to work. I was fine for the rest of the appointment, and didn’t even have to wait on the chair for a while afterwards like I did for the piercing.

For the next week I am to wash it gently with mild soap and hot water and then rub Vitamin A&D Ointment on, it three times a day. I am to rub unscented lotion on it three times a day the week following that. The scabbing should be gone within 7-10 days, but I don’t even see any scabs yet – so maybe I won’t have any. It’s not that big of a tattoo, after all.

But it’s my tattoo, and I love it.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:55 PM

    What a great story. Now put up the pic of the tatt next. Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:22 AM

    Don't get carried away with the tats and piercings! <Cyrinda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:23 AM

    Cool! YOU DID IT! I only have one tattoo and remember feeling the same thing. It will heal quickly if you take good care of it. Can't wait to see it! :)Britt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:08 PM

    Very cool ruth! and i love the story behind it :)

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:52 AM

    Well, my experience with that particular spider has given me a different perspective. I don't like them!!! Not even in a tattoo. I have permanent eye damage from the high blood pressure the venom caused!
    >Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:49 PM

    Excellente! I'm glad it wasn't that painful - that's encouraging - maybe I'll consider one myself! Congratulations, Ruth!
    " ) Lorna bee

    ReplyDelete