Monday, April 12, 2010

Weathered In

Sooner or later, it just had to happen. When you travel around the Aleutians, in particular, sooner or later the weather is going to get you.

It got me!

The winds were blowing up to 50 miles per hour when I woke up this morning. I still clung to that last shred of hope, though, and got all packed up and ready to leave. Round about 2:00 I got the call from PenAir saying they weren't coming.

They also said I should reschedule for the next flight, which isn't until Thursday!

Thursday! This is not what I want to hear, let me assure you. I like False Pass and the people are all so very friendly - but honestly, I want to go home.

The man who owns the grocery store assured me that the planes would come as soon as weather allowed, regardless of their official schedule. And the teacher who lives upstairs told me the same thing. In fact, he was supposed to have left with me on the plane that should have come today - and is totally planning on leaving tomorrow. He has said he would give me a ride to the airport (really, it's just a runway out at the edge of town) even.

So: cross your fingers, cross your toes, heck - cross everything you can and hope that I get home tomorrow!

1 comment: