Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Slowly Making the Transition

I wondered about owning a Kindle: Would I miss an actual book? Could I get used to reading from a computer screen? How well would the unit stand up to traveling in the outback?

Turns out, I really should have been worrying about other things like: Getting addicted to being able to shop in the comfort of my own home and overspending because with just the click of a mouse I can buy so many books it would take years to read them all.

One thing I’ve found that I really like: the on-line dictionary. I tend to read scientific books, so quite often I’ll come across a word I don’t know. Easy as pie, I just highlight the word and the dictionary automatically tells me all about it. I actually found myself reading a normal book the other day, and got frustrated because I’d found a word I didn’t know and couldn’t look it up right then.

And I’ve discovered that I have a habit I didn’t realize I had. Apparently, when I’m reading a book I often will close it with the bookmarker in place just so I can see how far along I am, and how much farther I have to go. Can’t really do that with the Kindle. It took me a while to get used to the scroll bar at the bottom of the screen. Somehow it’s just not the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment