Tuesday, June 09, 2020

So This Happened The Other Day


I got an email from my boss the other day saying he’d sold the company! Completely out of the blue and a huge surprise to everybody, although in retrospect it makes sense. He’s getting up there in years and is not getting any healthier. Still, it was a shock to say the least.

Our new owner is a company we’ve actually been working with for the past year or so. Hood River Engineers is out of Oregon and is owned by Adam, a Veteran of the U.S. Army. The sale creates a win-win situation for both parties involved: we get stability and a reliable future after our current boss retires, and they get 50 years’ experience in the industry! They even changed their name so they could take advantage of our reputation, now calling themselves GDM of Oregon and referring to us as GDM of Alaska.

I got my offer letter on the first of the month but had to negotiate a few changes: namely my salary and my work situation. Bryan did some research for me on the salary angle, while I talked to them about the reason why I’m working from home. In the end, they were amenable to all I proposed so they typed up a new offer letter and I signed it on Monday the 8th.

Filling out all that paperwork is a hassle compounded by the fact that I’m working from home. Everything has to be emailed to me, then I fill it out, print it, scan it, and email it back. On top of that, the printer we have here at home really sucks (we are GOING to get a new one, damn it!) so that the scans are barely legible. This necessitates a drive in to Anchorage so I can hand the paperwork in to my new boss in person. At least his way I can meet him (again) and put my face in the office to remind everybody what I look like.

Wow! hard to believe it’s been two months since I was last there.

Anyway, I am now employed by GDM of Oregon, I got a raise in salary to be more in line with industry standards, I have a much better benefits package (medical, dental, vision, and a 401k), and I still get to work from home until it’s safe to go back to the office!

Yay, Me!!!


1 comment:

  1. That is awesome!! Good for you, Ruth! Glad to hear some good news for a change!

    ReplyDelete