Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Wish I Had A Job Like That


As most of you already know, I had the opportunity to participate in the Denali Road Lottery this year. I’m currently working on a write-up for it to be added to my Travels page on my website. 
 
In the meantime, I crunched a few numbers… Wow! The Denali Road Lottery really pays off for the park!
 
According to what they told me, 9,340 people entered the lottery at $10.00 each.
 
That’s $93,000.00
 
They awarded 1,600 “winners” charging them $25.00 each.
 
That’s another $40,000.00
 
Only 1,420 actually participated however. Assume 2 people per car (could be more, though) at the park entrance fee of $10.00 per person.
 
That’s another $28,400.00
 
That’s at least an overall $1,618,000.00 for the park!
 
Which doesn't even include the fees you have to pay to camp there: The fee I paid was $44.00 – multiply that out by 1,420.
 
That’s an additional $62,480.00 for a grand total of a whopping $1,680,480.00
 
Assuming, of course, they all stayed inside the park and that each campground cost the same – which I’m pretty sure they do not.

2 comments:

  1. so, this is what I get for trying to write a Blog post with a Migraine!

    Somebody please check my math for me and tell me what the ACTUAL numbers are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you just added an extra zero on to the first total. Should be $161,800. Plus the $62,480 equals $224,280. That's if I did the math right...

    I love your blog! Found it on a random search hitting the "next blog" button. Alaska is on my dream list of places to visit some day. I used to want to move to a cabin in the wilderness there and live off the land. Not sure I am up for that anymore, but maybe I'll visit and find a cabin at the edge of town somewhere there someday and never look back....

    ReplyDelete