Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Expedition Update


First: I now have confirmation that my insurance will be reimbursing me at 100% for my inoculations. This is really good news as they are quite expensive and the doctor’s office required payment up-front. I’ll need to find out whom to expect a refund from: will it come from the doctor’s office or from my insurance? Not that it matters, really. It’s all money in the bank! But, I should like to know who to expect it from.

Second: I just made my final payment towards the expedition this morning. The Expedition Fund I set up was a huge success (thank you to all who donated) and helped defray almost half the cost. The rest of it came from my savings account which unfortunately has left me quite drained of emergency funds. But it’s totally worth it!

My next milestone will be at 60 days prior to leaving, which comes up in about a month. At that time, I will review all my gear to make sure I have everything I need and figure out how to pack it all. I will also get the prescription medication needed for the trip: the malaria pills, some antibiotics (in case I get a terrible case of traveler’s diarrhea) and some Xanex (to help me relax in the airplane).

Now that they have final payment from everybody planning to go on the expedition, I expect I’ll be getting a list of all my fellow volunteers soon. I can’t wait to see whose going! Typically I send a brief introductory email, just to say hello. Sometimes, I even get responses back.

1 comment:

  1. Generally, if you have a health care reimbursement account set up with your insurance company, your refund will come from them; otherwise, insurance normally sends payment to the doctor who, in turn, should refund you. Although doctor's offices are known to not automatically send the refund - you may have to request it. Your insurance company should send you something stating that they've sent check# whatever to the doctor & the amount - wait about a month & if you haven't seen a check from the doc, call them!

    Yay! for being reimbursed!

    ReplyDelete