Saturday, July 03, 2010

Saturday

A nice easy day today.

Didn’t sleep well at all last night, though. I’ve been having a lot of trouble with insomnia lately. I’m actually taking over-the-counter sleeping pills during the week so I can work through the day without crashing – but on the weekends, I’m trying to wean myself off of them. It’s not really working.

So, I finally fell asleep around 4:00 in the morning, only to get up around 8:00 four hours later. I poked around in my computer for a while and then headed out at 10:00 to run some errands: go to the bank, go to the post office, go to the Saturday Market. I got 4 really nice big turnips and a bundle of organic kale for my soup this time!

Noon saw me at the zoo, ready to give my weekly tour. No one signed up for it, though – probably because it was raining. Honestly, though – that’s the best time to go to the zoo. The animals LOVE the rain!

I love the rain, too, so took the opportunity to head up to Power Line Pass for a nice little hike. Of course, up there it was pouring down rain. I started out the hike with my coat and hat on. By the time I was on the return trip, I’d taken both the hat and the coat off because even though it was raining, it was actually quite warm.

It’s so beautiful up there. I went quite a bit farther than I’d ever been before, making it all the way to the bridge that crosses over Hidden Lake Creek – which I think is about 3.5 miles from the trailhead. I had my newly fixed camera with me so got all kinds of cool photographs of the plants I found along the way. Most of them I could identify, but some of them were a mystery to me. I’ve posted them all on my facebook page in hopes that somebody will tell me what they are.

Once I finally made it back home, I started in on my Weekly Pot O’ Soup. I began with a potato soup base, and added in a can of tomatoes and a can of black beans, threw in a few handfuls of the freeze-dried soup mix (10 different vegetables) and one handful of freeze dried chopped onions, added two heaping tablespoons of chopped garlic, twisted my pepper grinder for several minutes over it all, chopped up the turnips and kale, and threw in a 5-Grain Rice blend for good measure.

I’m going to be eating good this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment