Thursday, October 01, 2009

It’s Just Not Fair

I got a call this morning from a company located out-of-state. They are recruiting for a job by large Engineering firm and had my resume on hand.

They went thru all the requirements, which I meet. They went thru the job description, all of which I can do quite well. They went thru the benefits, all of which sounded good to me.

Finally, after talking up the job to where I was quite excited – they finally get around to the location: Ft. Greely.

Damn. That’s about a 6-8 hours drive from here! Completely not doable.

In his defense, he didn’t know that. That’s one disadvantage of being recruited by a company from out-of-state. In fact, when I said how far away that was, he said he’d go talk to somebody and confirm that the job was in fact located out there and call me back.

He did, and it is.

So now, he’s going to keep my resume at the top of the pile because “Jobs come up all the time, and you just never know.”

I’m wondering how he got my resume in the first place. I don’t recognize the name of the company he works for, and I keep fairly good track of who I send things to. Not that I’m upset in the least, especially if I can land a job like the one he called me on.

In other job news, I attended a job fair the other day at the Sullivan Arena. I hate crowds and I hate the Sullivan Arena, but I hate not having a job even more – so I went. I went early, right as the doors opened, so as to avoid most of the crowds. That worked quite well, except that some of the booths hadn’t arrived yet, so I did miss out on one or two opportunities.

I have to say, however, that the whole event was rather unexceptional. There was nothing there that I didn’t already know about, and had already applied to the ones that fit me. But, I did have a chance to talk to a recruiter who had “lost” my resume, so they will now have no excuse since I gave them another one.

And – I apparently won a drawing! I’m to go pick up my $50.00 gift certificate to Fred Meyers today from the Anchorage Daily News.

2 comments:

  1. chris marshal3:21 PM

    Sorry about the Ft Geely location..
    sure an unexpected letdown on such a promising connection..
    CHEERS for your $50 from the Job Fair!!!
    You're amazing..I do admire you..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather9:04 AM

    Congrats on the drawing! :)

    ReplyDelete