Tuesday, September 24, 2024

High-Bush Cranberry Season!

Bryan and I headed out to our Secret Berry Picking Spot last night after work. This is our third time going there, and it did not disappoint: we got so many berries!

The weather was perfect: just this side of rain, not too hot – not too cold. I had on my Irish fisherman’s wool sweater & a wool cap and was just fine. The mosquitoes eventually drove me to the bug dope, but that’s just part of being outdoors in Alaska.


The berries were so plentiful we could see them as we were driving down the road to The Spot. Picking them was so easy: you just reach your hand out and grab handfuls each time. As many as 40 berries in each cluster!


And the smell! Oh, I do love the smell of high-bush cranberries in the fall. Some people say they smell like dirty socks, but I disagree. I think they smell wonderful.

We now have SO MANY BERRIES!!! I plan on making more cordial of course – but what else can we do with them? We don’t eat enough bread to warrant making jam or jelly…

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:43 AM

    Beautiful berries; good job guys! (Haven't tried commenting on your blog before)) you do good always! Love front MT!

    ReplyDelete