Friday, August 21, 2026

More Experiments in the Kitchen

My sister-in-law has a strawberry patch in her back yard, and she invited me to pick them a few weekends ago. She was planning on being out of town and knew they needed to be picked before they all over-ripened.

I happily went out to her house with numerous buckets, planning to pick not only her strawberries, but her rhubarb and honey berries as well. Unfortunately, there were not nearly as many berries as I had hoped for. I had planned on making juice from her rhubarb & strawberries – but you kind of need more than 12 tiny strawberries for that.

So, I went to the grocery store and actually bought strawberries (gasp!). Darn it, I wanted Rhubarb-Strawberry Juice - or, as I call it, Strawbarb Juice!

Since I had all those strawberries, I decided to try making some syrup from the tops I cut off before juicing them. I had never made syrup before, so was just kind of making it up as I went. I have to say, it turned out pretty well – although, I would have preferred it to be a little thicker. It sure is tasty!



And, while the juicing and syruping was going on, I went ahead and cut up some lemons to dehydrate. My plan for that was to make a lemon powder, thinking it could be used to make Lemonade. I don’t think that will work exactly, but it can be used for cooking – so it’s not waisted, at least.




No comments:

Post a Comment